Pregnancy...

Seven and a half months.

It's been a long haul. So long that I can hardly get into describing it. You'll have to take my word for it.

I'm in good spirits, though, and I thought I'd do a little post on what all I've been using during my pregnancy.

I haven't gone totally deep into product paranoia — there are pregnant women who are much more preoccupied than I am about ingredients sourcing and making sure that everything that touches their skin is 100% organic, etc — but I've been at least semi-conscious about the quality of the products I use, and their safety. For instance, I don't worry about things like SLS in my shampoo, because it's only on my scalp for a moment and my body gets cleansed directly after so that none of it is staying on my skin, but I am more careful about products that stay on the skin (moisturisers, oils, etc).


My skin has been quite clear at times, and quite troubled on occasion too. All the while, I've just stuck it out with the same gentle routine all the way through.

  • Bioderma micellar water for cleansing
  • Clarins multi-active night cream for my eye area
  • Marcelle day cream for the rest of my face
No makeup. No time or energy for it.

  • Vaseline original balm for my lips.
  • Kalaya wonder salve underneath vaseline if I need it.

Products that were problematic:

My nipples have been a huge source of pain all throughout. I have used Earth Mama nipple butter to help with it. I don't know if it helped, but it certainly didn't make it any worse. For the belly, I used Badger belly butter from early on. The belly butter works; I've had no stretch marks, skin irritations, or itching with it. That being said, the nipple butter and the belly butter are each a strong source of cocoa butter, and it shows in the smell of these products. It's like a punch to the throat.

Regarding pregnancy nose: I can smell things very well, from farther away. My scent accuracy is better, but it's not my nose that's causing the aversion. Certain things are simply more potent than they need to be, I believe. The nipple butter and the belly butter are two such things, and I can't believe they're aimed at pregnant people. During my pregnancy, I've had really intense aversions to to men doused in AXE spray, or to smokers who've hot-boxed themselves and now radiate an intense cloud of very sour, stale cigarette smoke, but I haven't had aversions to quality perfume, decent products which contain fragrance, or even hair products. Even so, these two chocolate-bombs are a sensory overload eventually I just couldn't stand them for one more day, for their sickly-sweet scent alone.


I replaced both with NUXE oil. They make a lovely rich oil with a satin finish, as well as an ultra-lightweight dry oil. I won't use it on my nipples once I start breastfeeding, but in the meantime it's lovely. Also, for nipples, I prefer this to a balm, because it hurts to "rub" a product onto something so sensitive.

I'll mention, this does have a strong floral/amber scent, but it doesn't bother me. Maybe that's because it's not an edible, sickly-sweet smell. Also, strong as it is, it's nowhere near as heavily-scented as the chocolate balms.


I've been wearing Sì with it, today. It's warm-ish out (12°C) and  this pairing is nice and uplifting / spring-summery.

Lastly, I want to talk about showers. Showers are great. Unless you're me, and you're pregnant. Throughout most of my pregnancy, showering has been painful. Couldn't tell you why, but there were times it brought me so much breast pain that I was doubled-over and damn-near crying by the end.

For long periods, I couldn't shower, so I dry-brushed instead, and incorporated a body powder. It is a highly effective way to cleanse yourself and to keep your skin in good condition. Plus, it improves circulation while reducing dry bumps & ingrown hairs!

* Again, this powder from LUSH is a scented product — never bothered me one bit.


Looking forward to summer coming, and to having a healthy (fingers tightly crossed) little baby in the near future!

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

A.





Comments

Popular Posts