Anniversaries and Kettles

It's been a year since my adult-style life started. A year ago, I moved in to my own grown-up apartment in a nice new apartment building with my boyfriend of two years and started my first real honest-to-goodness pays-the-bills job. Now, I have been working for just over a year at my job and I'm pretty darned good at what I do, despite it having been a completely unexpected area. Finance? Moi? I'm an arts major. But it's what was available, and I've made it work. My Sweedum and I are now engaged, planning a wedding for next September (our favourite month), we're all settled into our new life, and this apartment is at last starting to feel like our home. Your first place away from home really does take time to feel comfortable and normal. Home is such a wonderful place, it's hard to fly the coop and start off on your own.

Pretty well a full year before our big move (relationship-wise and home-wise), I was working retail, doing retail shift type hours, and I spent most of my pay collecting kitchen stuff. I got an early start. Glad I did though, because kitchen equipment is really expensive, and I wanted to buy things that were right for us, not just what was available / priced right at the time. That year gave me time to shop around and find all the things we wanted and needed at decent prices, and I didn't have to settle for things I didn't like. Plus, with kitchen equipment, once you buy it you don't just switch it out, you're stuck with it, unless you don't mind being quite wasteful. The odd thing you might be able to pass along to someone else who needs one, but you can't just swap out everything, you know?

One of the things I was most excited about was my tea kettle. It's from Paderno, and it's called the "North Cape". Delightful, no? I was very picky about kettles, none of them looked nice, and 75% of them had some amount of plastic or silicone integrated, that wasn't what I was looking for. A kettle is always on the stove! You want it to look nice, and I wanted something that would last all my life. I have a relationship with my tea kettle! Ok, maybe not a relationship as such, but it's a big part of my morning routine, and that my dears is sacrosanct.




This Kettle is nicely shaped, high-polished, has a very sturdy removable whistle-bonnet (no hinges for rust and grime to get into) and a sleek handle design. Add to all this a thick, layered fast-heating base and you've got a very special tea kettle indeed. 

I also want to mention something about cleaning. You know that calcified hard-water build-up that can happen inside? You can't scrub it off, it's solidified on there, kinda white-ish and odd looking? Easilly fixed. Fill the kettle with water like you normally would, add a 1/4-cup or so of vinegar, just regular white vinegar, and let it boil for a few minutes. Pour it all out and the inside is like new. 

That calcification can also be mostly avoided my using filtered water in your kettle instead of hard water. 

As for the outside, any for of Barkeeper's Friend. Put a little on a wet dish scrubber, a pass or two will have it shining like a mirror. 

That's all for now! Hope you enjoyed it!


Have a great day, and thanks for reading!

A.

Comments

Popular Posts