Adrienne on life, love and girlish springtime things

I haven't been posting as much as I'd like lately, and I have missed recording a fair few small life developments, as well as a couple of big ones. As spring develops, I am un-hermitting myself in many areas of my life after a lengthy winter hibernation and will start with a great big making-up-for-time post.

First things first, I am very proud to announce my engagement to my Sweedum! We have decided to get married next September and have been looking into venues and arrangements for a small close friends & family only wedding.



The stone is a 2 carat moissanite by Charles and Colvard, a gorgeous hunk of sparkliness that will neither break the bank nor mar the conscience.

On a nearly equal level of exciting news, I am happy to announce that I can now see out of our windows. We have had one of the most significant cumulative snowfalls in the country, the likes of which I haven't experienced since my youth, and even then it was only comparable because of my being short and the snow that year being moderately impressive. Really not the same thing I suppose. Let's just say it was interesting to experience winter the way a small child does. It takes a heck of a lot more snow when you're fully grown. It swallowed everything up this year. Including all of our window light. See the following...



I recently had my birthday, and the springtime buzz that surrounds it is getting me all excited. Admittedly, today is gross, there is snow again after a few weeks of what looked like spring. A tad disheartening. I should explain, we don't actually get spring where I live. No, no. Spring is usually depicted as warm, full of buds and chirping/humming things, warm showers, etc. Not here. Here, it is melty, muddy, damp, chilly, windy, grey, brown, wet, slushy, vaguely musty. And then summer comes. For all of... oh... two months maybe. Charming, no?

I am excited for that summer transition. In anticipation, I indulged in some April Cornell. Normally I can't find dresses I like, so I bought a few while the going was good. Plus, we must make the most of our short quick summers. To that end, I now have enough awesome summer wear that I can flounce about in style for all eight weeks! Yay! Pictures:

Pink one, very soft, ties around the back, will be awesome with scarves and hats!


Slightly less pink one, very grown up, no? Also ties round the back.


Awesome purple polka dot one, I love love LOVE this! It's so retro and adorable! Large pockets, multi-coloured buttons, sleeveless, very carefree. It spoke to my inner child. (No, not a literal inner child, lol, not any time soon anyway. Though, it will probably fit well even then, due to its adjustability!)


I am pretty crazy about this blue one too. It tapers in nicely to contour the bust. Very flattering indeed. I believe there are pockets in this one too...

And then last but not least, this very breezy flowy yellow number, it's got a great deal of olden day charm. Nice for balmy summer evenings on the porch. Ah, I can't wait for those....


Spring has led my nose in a new direction too, back to the hopeful fruity florals that so often are scorned for their commonplace status on the store shelves. Honestly, they might not be the most original concept, but they're fun when you're sick of winter and they take the senses on a much-needed vacation. All it takes is a spritz. Cheaper than a cruise, that's for sure.

Last year I discovered the whimsical and enchanting world of Lolita Lempicka. See bottle below. A cute little French fashion house, it evokes fairytale yearnings and girlish fantasy, doing so with as much spunk as one can hope to muster. Pretty cool stuff. Their bottles are certainly out of the ordinary, conjuring woodland imagery, the scents accordingly fanciful.


And I've been cooking. I'm proud to announce that I have tested three new dishes from this wonderful cookbook by Laura Calder called Paris Express - two of which I botched terribly by improvising with recipes and ingredients I wasn't nearly familiar enough with. Last year, I saw Julie & Julia for the first time around this time of year (have watched it countless times since), got mildly obsessed with Julia Child and completely overcome by the world of French cuisine. I haven't been able to try much of it yet, but I ended up buying several cookbooks that I read for a change of pace every now and then, as though they were novels. Anyhow, this is one of them, and it is wonderful. It has lots of fun blurbs about food and life in France, superb ideas for new meals and lots of gorgeous photos of Paris. This book is like a retreat for the mind. There are so many more recipes in it that I want to attempt and maybe tamper with.  




So, that's the start of spring, and some of my hopes for the summer. I have a lot to be excited about, lots of things to plan, an amazing yet small wedding to prepare for, and just a whole lot of awesome in my life. I am a lucky, lucky girl! More to come, updates, more cooking stories, keep an eye out!


Have a great day, and thanks for reading!

A.

Comments

Popular Posts