Nails

Nails are just about the tiniest body part in the realm of aesthetic corporal pursuits, with the exception of eyelashes. Still, of the two, I think it's safe to say that there is a lot more care, time, and product range devoted to the former. 
Nail care is a science that I could never get right - no matter what, my regime was never sufficient to keep them healthy and strong when they grow longer, and the care I took was never good enough. No matter what, they always crack, dry out, develop signs of wear on the surface, etc. The nail simply... degrades.
I've been giving a lot of thought to it recently after a nail-growth hiatus. I haven't bothered growing them out for the last year, and during this time, it occurred to me that they'd never been in finer shape. It wasn't a matter of not growing them long though, it was the simple fact that when I don't grow them, I don't coat them in all kind of products.
Without polishes and polish-like treatments, my nails were stronger, tougher, and the surface was smoother and more resilient than it ever was when I used these things. 
It got me thinking - I always thought my nails cracked because they were weak, and that they were beyond the help of nail hardening polishes. Maybe that's not it at all. Maybe, just maybe, the polishes were weakening my nails.
I have been experimenting with everything nails lately, trying to find some solutions to nail care and healthy nail growth for keeping long nails firm and hydrated. In the range of products out there for nail care, there seems to be two branches: conditioning treatments & leave-on treatments. 
There also seems to be two ways of approaching nail care: preventative and restorative. 
I've made a few discoveries in recent months that have changed the way I approach nail care.

1. leave-on treatments and regular nail lacquers weaken the nails in the following ways:
  • They are harsh
  • They create a barrier on the nails that inhibits their necessary access to oxygen 
2. Nails don't need protective barriers
  • While it's good not to expose your skin or your nails to extreme water temperatures, it is not necessary to create a barrier over the nail to protect it from the elements. Nails need air exposure. They are not harmed by the water or by hand soaps and shampoos. Mittens in the winter and gloves in the dishwater is all the protection they'll ever need.
3. restoration is a futile endeavour. 
  • Once the nail is chapped and weathered, nail treatments and oils won't bring them back. Nails aren't like skin. They restore themselves through growth, from the cuticle up. If you cut your nail, or bash your nail, the only thing to be done is wait for that section to grow out, much as a heavily injured nail must be allowed to fall off and grow back. New nail will come eventually, but that section will not regenerate, and no amount of treatment will change that.
4. Nail treatments of the non-polish variety do work! 
  • Perhaps they do not work in a restorative manner, but they do make the nails extra-strong and beautifully conditioned if your nails are already in good condition. If you didn't use nail polish often, this may be enough to keep them in good shape when you do.
I am still testing things are learning a lot about nails, trying to figure out exactly how best to keep them nicely groomed. I will post more about products and what I like about them / which ones do nothing, or seem to do more harm than good. 

Have a great day and thanks for reading!

A.

Comments

Popular Posts