Long Weekend

Here we are, the end of yet another month once again. I don't know where the time goes, but I am always astonished at how quickly it passes when I see how long it has been since my last post. I dread the idea of not posting something at least once a month. Plus, it's good not to leave it too long, because I find that post time affords me an opportunity to stop, look around at my life, capture the things that interest me at a given time and take stock of all that has happened lately.

This month - and in fact these last two months really - has been busy busy BUSY. I feel like nothing ever gets done, but what really happens is that things get checked off the list and new things quickly take their places. So much has happened, and I honestly have gotten more things done than I realize. I mentioned last time that I moved, and frankly I still pinch myself sometimes, trying to get myself to believe it.

I moved in with my boyfriend. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't believe we're there.

I moved out of my parents' house. I miss them like crazy. I miss my cats, I miss my room, I miss everything about being home. I try to visit often, but I find the evenings so short, and have just enough energy to make food, eat and go to bed after a episode or two of something.

Today is nice. Because of the long weekend, I feel like I have loads of time and I can relax. I'm home now, watching a movie and periodically basting the ten pound smoked ham that is roasting in the oven. My dad has been by a couple of times today to help me, since it's something that I've only cooked once, and it's his recipe. It's a picnic ham, a shoulder cut, covered in brown sugar and allspice, that you cook for about a half hour per pound. I added a half cup of water at the bottom of the pot too, just to have something to baste with. It's smelling pretty good in here, and the oven heat is really nice, cause it's oddly cold out for a day in August. It was all of ten degrees Celsius last night. That is really not normal.

Being in my new place has been good. I'm still getting used to everything; the nine-to-five routine (it's so wonderful not to have to endure the stress of unemployment any more, even if it means less time on my hands and less sleep), living with my boyfriend (who until now has only seen me in a slightly more calculated light - lets face it, as honest as we are and as much as you can be yourself around someone, the image you give out is always at least a tiny bit tailored in some way, cause that's what happens when the opportunity is there. Living together is a total loss of that opportunity to tailor, and it takes some getting used to), life without pets (I miss having creatures of some sort milling around, looking comfortable and happy)..... I could go on.

I know I normally don't write about this sort of stuff, but lately, I have nothing I feel like reviewing (don't worry, that will change). I have been absorbed in the realities of life, rather than the distractions. We've been trying to get things back to some normal state after all the upheaval of moving and starting work, but it's been hard. I know people say that things change when you move in together, and that things come up, but you are never fully prepared until it happens, as it true of pretty much everything ever. Still, life is good, and I love my sweedum. And today is a very good day, and it's shaping up to be a good season all around. We're going on a bit of a trip soon, and we plan on dabbling in some candy-making this fall, and, I have decided, I am taking on the pumpkin challenge this year. Come pumpkin time, I intend to buy one and cook it in all sorts of ways. I even bought an immersion blender so that I can purée soup. So long to being daunted by the idea of a pumpkin being too big to ever use all by myself. Challenge accepted!

Well, back to the basting...

Have an excellent long weekend readers, and I shall be back to my usual reviews soon enough!

xoxo,

A.


Comments

Popular Posts