Acne. Oh joy.

I've been battling acne since I was twelve. I'm now in my mid twenties, and nothing has changed. That being said, I know how discouraging this problem can be - every skincare line wants to sell us a miracle, and none of them seem to work. Suddenly you've obtained a collection of mostly full bottles of this and that.

Things I've tried for over six months each that didn't work:


  • Clean & clear (no effect)
  • Clinique 3 step routine (moisturiser aggravated my breakouts)
  • Nivea 3 step routine (no effect)
  • Cetaphil (no effect)
  • Oxy (no effect)
  • Tea Tree by the Body Shop (no effect)

Over the years, I've done a lot of research and testing, but the only thing that has really worked, I'm sorry to say, is prescription Clindoxyl. However, I do have a few tips and tricks that work well, and though they won't eliminate acne, they can make it easier to manage.


  1. For those awful pimples that keep coming back worse that ever, drain it as much as you can and immediately apply a cotton ball soaked with concentrated lemon juice. It will sting, but it will work. Keep it on there until it doesn't sting any more, and it shouldn't come back again.
  2. Healing sore spots. Once the pimple is gone, it can still take forever for that sore red spot to heal. The fastest healing I've ever gotten is from Bio-Oil. Apply once or twice a day to the area, and it's amazing the time it shaves off. 
  3. Moisturisers - if you get the wrong one, it can make things worse. I love Glaxal Base cream (not the lotion) because it isn't scented, it's thick and moisturising, and it doesn't make my skin react badly. 
  4. If you have bad acne, the best thing you can do is keep your skin clean and moisturised, but also avoid using foundation all over your face. It's better to cover only the spots you need, and leave all other pores unclogged. Washing your face after a day of wearing make-up just isn't the same.

I hope this helps a little!

Have a great day and thanks for reading!

A.

Comments

Popular Posts