L'heure bleue EDP- The timeless scent of the blue hour


For me, Chanel's N°5 feels like France summed up in one heady fragrance, but Guerlain's L'heure bleue EDP... she's Paris in a bottle. This is a heavy hitter, another classic from the house of Guerlain. L'heure bleue has a long history, and has been widely adored for years.

L'heure bleue edp eau de parfum bottle


In the hundreds of reviews out there, you will come across a lot people who characterize this glorious creation as "melancholy"; LHB makes some people feel sad. While it does have that quiet air about it, it isn't quite as sombre as that, to me. This takes me to beautiful places in my mind. It feels quiet and still, like twilight, yet somehow still content, like the quiet bustle of a cafe in Paris as the evening winds down. It smells like dessert pastries, a bouquet of flowers, evening air, the caress of a warm breeze.

L'heure bleue edp eau de parfum bottle

This is romantic and floral, with that gourmand edge that makes my mouth water. Iris and carnation are prominent players. Vanilla is more subtle here than she's ever been, a sweet undercurrent that makes the juicy twist of anise all the more satisfying. Sandalwood comes through so demurely, making the composition just a tiny bit musky-smooth, almost imperceptibly. This also feels very 1950s to me - it was created long before that, but I can see women wearing this in the 50s in Paris, with their cute dresses and white gloves, wafting about and having a grand time. If I ever go to Paris, this is coming with me.


Also, whenever I smell LHB, this song immediately comes to mind, and vice-versa: These Foolish Things by Frank Sinatra (but I love the remake from Michael Bublé).



A cigarette that bears a lipsticks' traces
An airline ticket to romantic places
And still my heart has wings
These foolish things remind me of you
A tinkling piano in the next apartment
Those stumbling words that told you what my heart meant
A fairgrounds' painted swing
These foolish things remind me of you
I know that this was bound to be
These things have haunted me
For you, my dear, enchanted me
The winds of March that make my heart a dancer
A telephone that rings, but who's to answer?
Oh, how the ghost of you clings
These foolish things remind me of you
The smile of Garbo
And the scent of roses
The waiters' whistlin' as the last bar closes
The songs that Ella sings
These foolish things remind me of you


I hope this will make a few people want to discover this. But I should warn you, it can take a little time for this one to warm up to people - if in doubt, try different concentrations, always!

P.S., I'm totally wearing this right now while I'm writing, I couldn't resist ;)

Have a great day, and thanks for reading!

A.


Comments

Popular Posts